Friday, June 25, 2010

day 1

6/23/2010
Today I flew to Denver to meet Randy Cronk and his nephew Jake, who had flown to El Paso 8 days earlier, and were cycling north.

On reaching Denver I picked up my boxed bike, which the airport worker literally threw on the large item chute. My bike was unschathed, and seemed fine after I reassembled it.

It took me 45 minutes and 9 miles of riding in circles before I finally left th airport behind. After 22 miles, I met Julie, randy's sister in Aurora, and together we drove to Silverthorn, Co, where Randy and Jake were waiting.

Silverthorn, a small tourist town for skiers and outdoor adventurerd, had a alpine themed outlet mall. We ate at Chapoltas, while Randy caught up with his sister.

We then road 40 miles through stunningly beautiful mountains, with snowcapped peaks all around, following a noisily gurgling mountain stream. Scattered amoung the mountains, perched in seemingly unreachable locations, were mountain chalet homes, mostly made of wood, and all Windows and high peaked roofs.

We rode to Kremmling, a small mountain town, with one dusty main street. As soon as we stopped we were attacked by an army of mosquitoes. I started riding again, and didnt stop until I found a "Mountain Dollar" (seriously) and bought some Off.

We ate at a Subway, and Randy negotiated a place to sleep in Church, freeing us from fighting more mosquitoes.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.3.6

No comments:

Post a Comment